Happy week one of 2021! Fingers crossed this year is better than the last. Shouldn’t be a difficult task, everyone just keep your hands to yourself for a while 😉
I decided to start out the new year with a week of “self care”. No work and no plans.
I am an over thinker, over organizer and over worker (it’s a Greek thing). Until February 2020, I consistently had two jobs, mostly to make ends meet but keeping busy helps me feel like I have it all together, or that’s what I thought. The downfall of this mentality is that is it exhausting! I found that lifestyle affected my overall outlook on life. To be frank, somedays I was an outright bummer to be around.
Fast forward to 2021. The year I am going to unplug for a few minutes (7 days actually) and reset. Works for my tv, so it should work for me too right?
What is self care to you? It is different for everyone. Some people prefer long hot bathes, face masks and napping. I for one am totally at peace when I am cleaning the house, organizing my invoices and rewriting my monthly calendar. Toss in a cocktail we are good to go.
I am on day 4 of my “self care” journey and aside from a necessary grocery run, I haven’t been apart from Dobby for longer than an hour. Walter, Dobby and I took a short family trip to the lake to ring in the new year. Where Walter fell asleep at 12:15am and I was lulled to sleep by his and Dobbys snores at 1am, it was amazing.
As promised I will be sharing recipes more often, I have veered off track a bit from fast food copy cat recipes so bear with me because I promise it is still delicious. Doggone it, let’s eat!
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1-2 jalapeños, chopped (depending on how hot you like it, I like my mouth to be on fire)
- 2 (10oz) can enchilada sauce
- 2 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked and chopped (I seasoned with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and paprika)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 12 oz cream cheese (1 1/2 blocks)
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño and cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent. The pepper will still have some bite to it but this adds a good texture to the soup.
- Add enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes, black beans, frozen corn, chopped or shredded chicken and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn heat down to low and add in your cream cheese. Adding cream cheese while soup is still boiling can cause it to curdle. Stir until cream cheese is completely melted and your soup is creamy.
- If soup is a little too thick for you, add in more chicken broth.
- Remove from heat, make a big ol bowl and add your toppings. I like a dollop of sour cream, avocado and hot sauce DUH!
This recipe makes about 8 decent size servings, so make sure to share with your friends. Or hoard for yourself, no ones judging.
This reminded more of a chili than a soup because it was super hearty and comforting! So I hope you are into that kinda thing 🙂
Goodbye for now, I am going to stare at this baby deer for the rest of the day.